Gujarati Dal Dhokli Recipe
- 1/2 cup toor dal.
- 1 cup wheat flour.
- Salt as per taste.
- Some red chilli powder.
- Add Some turmeric powder.
- Some coriander powder.
- Some ajwain.
- 1/2 tsp garam masala.
- 1/2 tsp ghee.
- 2-3 cloves.
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera).
- 1/2 tsp wray (rai).
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi seeds).
- 1 piece of cinnamon (dalchini).
- Some curry leaves.
- Some dry peanuts.
- Add Some finely chopped tomatoes.
- Some finely chopped green chillies.
Some finely chopped garlic
Some finely chopped ginger
1 tsp jaggery
Some finely chopped coriander
- Take 1/2 cup of toor dal and soak it for
- 2-3 hours
- Put it in the pressure cooker and cook it until it releases 4-5 whistles(if you are making the dal dhokli for four persons then this measurement is appropriate).
To make dhokli dough :
- Take a mixing bowl
- Add 1 cup wheat flour.
- Add salt as per taste
- Add Some red chilli powder
- Add Some turmeric powder
- Add Some coriander powder
- Crush Some ajwain with hands and add it in the mixture(it gives a nice taste and flavor to it)
- Add 2 tsp oil
- By adding some water to the mixture mix it well and make a dough(like thepla/ paratha)
- Rest the dough for 10-15 mins
To make dal :
- Now using the hand blender blend boiled toor dal so that you get a smooth dal
- Heat up the pan put
- 1/2 tsp ghee and also add 1 tsp oil on it. (can also be made in only ghee/ oil)
- Add 2-3 cloves
- Add 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- Add 1/2 tsp wray (rai)
- Add 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi seeds)
- Add 1 piece of cinnamon (dalchini)
- Put all the above ingredients in the pan (can add red dry chilli and bay leaf-tej patta if you want)
- Add some curry leaves
- Add some finely chopped green chillies
- Add some finely chopped garlic
- Add some finely chopped ginger (Use of ginger and garlic can be avoided if you make a Jain style dal dhokli).
- Mix it in the pan and fry it for a bit.
- Add some dry peanuts.
- Add some finely chopped tomatoes and mix it.
- Add 1 tsp coriander powder
- Add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Add 1/2 tsp garam masala
- Add 1 tsp red chilli powder
- Mix all these spices in pan well. (Frying all these dry spices in oil gives a very good color and taste to it).
- Add some salt
- In dal dhokli you will find all spices flavors together.
- Now add boiled dal to the pan and mix it well (if the consistency of dal is thicker then add 1/2 of water).
- Add 1 tsp jaggery
- Cover the lid and cook on slow flame.
To make dhokli :
- Now roll out few balls from the prepared dhokli dough
- Place them on a flat surface, flatten them further with the help of rolling pin. (keep using the flour on it as required, the thickness of this has to be like chapati).
- Now cut the chapati sized dhokli in square shape. (can be cut in diamond shape as well).
- Add the dhokli one by one in the dal cooking on the other side and cook it on high flame (cut rest of the dhoklis and add it to the dal and if you feel that dal has become thicker now you can add some water then).
- Cook it for 12 mins on medium to high flame.
- Put some finely chopped coriander on it once it is almost cooked.
- Add 1/2 lemon juice in it (to give it a little sourness).
- Pieces of dhokli floats on the dal when it is cooked or else you can check it by cutting a dhokli with a spoon, if it’s not fully cooked then it can’t be cut easily.
- Garnish with coriander and enjoy Gujarati style Dal Dhokli.
- Dal dhokli is a wholesome meal itself, it has many ingredients in it.
- It doesn’t require to be served with any other dish but if you want you can have it with curd/ raita.
Watch Gujarati Dal Dhokli Recipe Video
Gujarati Dal Dhokli Recipe
No recipe Found