It is a popular south indian savoury and spicy dish, made from moong dal, rice and other spices. it is typically served for morning breakfast with side dished like sambar and coconut based chutneys. the dish is primarily famous in tamilnadu, but can also be seen served in other sisters south indian states.
South indian cuisine is known for it myriad options for healthy morning breakfast recipes. generally, these are rice or lentil based dishes which are either prepared by steaming or by frying. one such common and easy recipe is pongal recipe which can be prepared as khara pongal or spicy pongal too.
If I were to list all the South Indian dishes, Pongal would feature at the top of the list. Not only it’s easy to make; but also it requires minimum spices and still it’s so flavorful and tasty. Must try and Must have this when it’s hot, best way to enjoy Monsoon.
How to make Pongal | Khara Pongal Recipe ?
- 1/2 cup yellow lentils (moong dal).
- 1/2 cup rice.
- 2 cup water.
- Salt as per taste.
- 1-2 tsp ghee.
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera).
- 1 tsp mustard seeds (rai).
- 1 tsp chana dal (bengal gram split).
- 1 tsp urad dal (split & skinless lentils).
- 8-10 black pepper (kali mirch).
- Some dry red chillies.
- Some curry leaves.
- 6-7 cashews.
- 1 green chilli.
- Finely chopped small ginger knob.
How to make?
- Heat up the pan.
- Add 1/2 cup yellow lentils (moong dal).
- Dry roast until it turns slightly golden-brown.
- Add 1/2 cup rice and dry roast for 5 min.
- Now rinse it well.
- Again add it in the same pan.
- Add 2 cup water.
- Add salt as per taste.
- Cover the lid to cook rice & dal
(cook it in the pressure up to 1-2 whistles – do not overcook).
- To prepare tadka, heat up another pan.
- Add 1-2 tsp ghee.
- Add 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera).
- Add 1 tsp mustard seeds (rai).
- Then add 1 tsp chana dal (bengal gram split).
- Add 1 tsp urad dal (split & skinless lentils).
- Add 8-10 black pepper (kali mirch).
- Add some dry red chillies.
- Add some curry leaves.
- Add 6-7 cashews.
- Add 1 green chilli.
- Add a finely chopped small ginger knob.
- Mix it and turn off the heat.
- Add this tempering in cooked dal & rice.
- Mix it well and turn off the heat.
- Take it in a serving bowl.
- Enjoy this South Indian Dish Delicious Pongal!!!
Watch Pongal Recipe Video
No recipe Found