So nutritious, tasty and the most essential South Indian delicacy without which imagining South Indian food is next to impossible – Sambhar – Here’s my version of Sambhar (it may be slightly different than yours)
Try Idli Tikka With MTR.
How to make Sambhar ?
- Tuver or Arhar daal – boiled in pressure cooker for 3 whistles, and churned with a spatula.
- 2 tbs oil.
- Rai ke daane (mustard seeds).
- Jeera (cumin seeds).
- Methi ke daane (Feugreek seeds)
- Turmeric powder.
- Red chilli powder.
- Sambhar masala.
- Chopped vegetables – pumpkin, brinjal, drum stick, padwal etc.
- A dry red chili.
- Some Curry Leaves (Kadi patta).
- Imli ka paani (Tamarind water).
How to make?
- Heat up a pan
- Keep Tuver daal (Arhar Daal) ready- boiled in a pressure cooker for 3 whistles and churn it with a spatula; no need for a beater; leave it half crushed.
- Take 2 tbs oil in the pan.
- Add some mustard seeds (rai ke daane)
- Add some jeera (cumin seeds)
Add fenugreek seeds (methi ke daane)
- Wait till you hear crackling sound.
- I am going to add various vegetables; you can add any vegetables you like.
- I have used drum stick, pumpkin, brinjal, padwal (snake gourd) etc.
- Now add a pinch of asafoetida.
- Add a dry red chilli & few fresh curry leaves (kadi patta).
- Add couple of chopped Madran.
- Onions (chalet)
- Now add drum sticks, pumpkin, brinjal and padwal.
- Now add some turmeric powder, 1.5 tsp red chilli powder & 2 tsp ready made Sambhar masala.
- Mix everything well
- Add Salt.
- Add some water, cover the pan and let it cook for 5-10 minutes till half cooked.
- Now add 2 tsp tamarind water (imli ka paani) – tamarind water is made by mixing water with tamarind (imli) pulp.
- I like adding a little jaggery to balance the sourness of tamarind (optional)
- Now it’s time to add the arhar( tuver) daal.
- Add water if Sambhar is too thick.
- Cover the lead and let it cook till you get a boil for 10 minutes at least.
- Sambhar is ready.
- Enjoy with Dosa, Idli, Uttapam or even with rice.
Watch Sambhar Recipe Video
No recipe Found