Veg Biryani Recipe
With all those Indian whole spices, saffron, ghee, friend onions & a lots of vegetables, Biryani is the toast of South Asian cooking; every country that I have travelled to, have found that it’s one of the most known dishes abroad. Presenting a treat for vegetarians – the Veg Biryani – a recipe I picked up from my mother.
- 2 Cup already boiled long-grain rice (boil with little salt, 4 cloves, 1 stick cinnamon, 5 to 6 whole black pepper, 1 bay leave)
- 3 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Jeera (Cumin seeds)
- 2-3 tsp Garlic cloves – finely chopped.
- 1 tsp Ginger – finely chopped.
- 1 Onion big size – finely chopped
- 2 Onions – thinly sliced& fried.
- 1 cup of mixed vegetables (Carrot, Cauli flower, French beans, Capsicum, Green peas).
- 1 Tomato small size
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder.
- 1 tsp Red chilly powder.
- 2 tsp Biryani Masala.
- 2 tbs Curd.
- A piece of charcoal
- A big pinch of saffron (diluted into warm milk) Some mint & coriander leaves.
- 6-7 tsp Ghee (clarified butter)
- Handful of cashews.
- Salt as per taste.
- Take two cup of already boiled rice.
- The rice should be boiled with salt, cloves, cinnamon, whole black pepper & bay leaves.
- We will first make the Masala for the biryani.
- Heat the pan on medium flame.
- Add 3 tsp Oil.
- We will use Ghee later on.
- Add 1 tsp of Jeera (Cumin seeds) & let it cook.
You may add some more whole spices however, as I will use Biryani Masala, you don’t need to add more spices at this stage.
- Add 2-3 tsp Garlic Cloves – finely chopped.
- Add 1 tsp Ginger – finely chopped.
- Add 1 finely chopped onion.
- Add salt as per taste.
- Keep fried onion slices ready for layering the biryani later on.
- Keep a cup of mixed vegetables ready.
- As onions cook, they will turn little brown.
- Add chopped tomato.
- Add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder.
- Add 1 tsp Red chilly powder.
- Add 2 tsp Biryani Masala.
- Add all the mixed vegetables.
- Mix it well.
- Add some water.
When you add curd, ensure the flame is stopped, else curd will curdle.
- Switch off the flame & add 2 tbs curd.
- We want little runny consistency of the vegetables (but not watery) Biryani vegetables are ready. Keep them aside.
- Take a piece of charcoal and put it on flame to heat for 15-20 minutes.
- We want charcoal to be piping hot.
- Charcoal will give our Biryani the smokey flavour.
- While charcoal gets heated, we will begin layering the Biryani.
- Keep the saffron diluted milk ready.
- In a bowl take boiled rice, and make the first layer.
- Topple it with another layer of Biryani vegetable masala.
- Take handful of friend onion slices for the next layer on top.
- Drizzle few spoons of Saffron diluted milk.
- You can also mix the saffron milk into rice to give the colour to Biryani.
- Spread few leaves of Mint & Coriander.
- Drizzle some Ghee on top.
- Repeat the layers once again with Rice.
- And mixed vegetables biryani masala.
- Friend onions layer once again
- Layer of diluted saffron milk.
- Mint & Coriander leaves.
- And desi Ghee.
- Cover it with boiled rice again.
- Garnish with friend onion, diluted saffron milk, mint & coriander leaves, Ghee & cashews.
- Now we will give smokey flavour using charcoal.
- Place a small plate on top of biryani & place piping hot charcoal on top.
- Keep the cover ready.
- Pour some ghee on the charcoal & immediately cover the bowl.
- You will see smoke coming-out of charcoal inside the bowl.
- It will give a rich smokey aroma to the biryani bowl.
Video for Veg Biryani Recipe
Veg Biryani Recipe
No recipe Found